Thursday, October 18, 2012

throwback thursday: state fair goat introduction.

This is the third installment of Throwback Thursdays, a new thing I'm trying out as a way to share old photos and stories. This week, I'm honoring the NC State Fair since it's that special time of year.

If you know me or read this blog, you may have learned that I hope to own a few goats down the line. Male pygmies are playful, affectionate, low maintenance, and generally hilarious. (If you are suspicious, watch this video and just try to not love that little guy. You won't be able to). My affection for goats originated at the North Carolina State Fair with a chance meeting one October night.

My friends and I were walking through the crowds, headed to the pig race (yeh, the state fair is the best) when I caught a glimpse of a woman with a baby sling. I naturally assumed she was carrying a baby so as we passed by, I glanced down to see her little one and did a double take. My eyes widened with joy. She had a baby goat in tow. I was immediately taken by its sweet face and floppy ears. We all petted him for a while.


This is the face of someone realizing they're totally in love: 








You see many interesting things at the state fair but this was one of my all time favorites. This will be the first time in 6 years that I'll have to miss the fair...you NC people go enjoy it for me and eat a fried Milky Way!



. . .


5 comments:

  1. Please be blessed by this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuRzJRrRpQ&noredirect=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! I wonder how goats get along with mini-Beagles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I know they make great companion animals for horses and ponies so maybe they'd be okay with dogs too?

      Delete
  3. our next door neighbor just got a goat. it seems so lonely. it is always on the deck and comes running down to say hello when we pass by. lou and andy are completely ambivalent. they are very social creatures but are also very destructive!

    ReplyDelete